A Little more about a heart transplant:
December 3, 1967
South African surgeon Dr. Christian Barnard made medical history at Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town on December 3, 1967 by completing the first successful heart transplant. The patient – 59-year-old Louis Washkansky – received his new heart from a 25-year-old woman who died after being hit by a car. Unfortunately, Washkansky's immune system was weakened by the anti-rejection medication. He contracted pneumonia and died 18 days later
http://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/01885/history%20of%20transplants.htm
There is the source above should you want to read up on it. The last bit is quite scary, to think that after such an amazing operation and strenious procedure, your body rejects it and your immune system fails. There has been numerous breakthroughs since then and I am also using anti supressing drugs. I have to use Tacrolimus twice a day for the rest of my life. It is compulsory to have a check up once every 6 months to make sure all the organs are functioning at optimal levels! Other than these technicalities I live a full and enjoyable lifestyle!
There is the source above should you want to read up on it. The last bit is quite scary, to think that after such an amazing operation and strenious procedure, your body rejects it and your immune system fails. There has been numerous breakthroughs since then and I am also using anti supressing drugs. I have to use Tacrolimus twice a day for the rest of my life. It is compulsory to have a check up once every 6 months to make sure all the organs are functioning at optimal levels! Other than these technicalities I live a full and enjoyable lifestyle!
No comments:
Post a Comment